Monday, February 4, 2008

My lunch date

It was a busy monday again, when all the food outlet would be packed as usual during lunch hour. And today, I decided to go to my favourite kopi shop where it is easy to find a seating, especially I'm alone lunching.

Bought a bowl of noodle and start eating, sat down at 1 corner of a long table, it should be nice and quiet without any other stranger should be come sitting next to you.

Just when i'm concentrating and about to finish my noodle, a "thud" sound pop up right infront of me, I lift my head and saw a old man, age about 70 years old, putting down something heavy from his shoulder, and mumbling: " it's so heavy", and the thud sound was from his rice plate, placing right infront of me.

And before he sat down, he went to get a glass of plain water and came back sitting down. At first I was rather pissed off with his action and the loud noise, but when I saw this old gentleman, I was kind of thinking I should just be reminded of my own EQ and keep my smily face, as he indeed, look like the kind of respectable old man who have fought hard for what Singapore have become today.

He started to converse with me in cantonese, which I'm not very good at it, however, I do understand what he is talking about, thus I nod my head to show the attention and respect I can give to this old gentleman.

After a while, I decided to get myself a hot drink (the usual fav kopi-o) from the counter, so I ask him in my broken cantonese if he would like a cuppa hot drink. He ask if I'm buying him, I say yes, no worry. So he wanted a kopi-o as well, and I ordered and paid over the counter waiting to be served.

We are talking like some good friends, though he talk more than me, as I can't really talk well in cantonese, but i still look into his eyes and nod my head, once awhile try to speak alittle cantonese.

I asked him about when he is "resting" for CNY, he said no, he would still be working still, but taking a break in between as he need money for his legs, which the medical fee set him back about $9k+, and he showed me his darkend foot, which I can't really understand what is the cause of it. And his son who is a taxi driver, didn't really earn much to help, so he need to continue to work. I just advice him to rest his leg more often.

When we leave the table, I wish him good luck and take care, while he try to lift up the canvas bag with the heavy stuff inside it.

A tough old man I would say, never get defeated by the life. I don't feel sorry for him, with man like his age, he still push on as I watch his back view walking slowly away, I salute to you. uncle.

No comments: