Thursday, September 20, 2007

for those Singaporean who frequent JB

saw this in a forum

Last Sunday afternoon, I received a call from a Malaysian colleague who saidthat he wanted to bring me to an exclusive underground club in JB. So Iarranged to meet him at City Square in JB at 5.00pm. When I reached JB CitySq at around 5.15pm, I called my friend and he told me that he will beslightly late. So I decided to go to the MacDonalds near to the entrance atcity square to wait for him. I ordered a kiddy meal, as i was expecting tohave dinner with my colleague later, which came with a free toy.


After ordering my food, I found a seat at the corner of MacDonalds. It was acorner four seater table next to a wall. So I sat next to the wall and afterfinishing my food, I took a look at the toy. Then a skinny rugged lookingman came over and sat right next to me.


The conversation was as follows:

>Man: Are you a Malaysian?
>Me: Why? (Sensing something is strange with this question)
>Man: Just answer me.
>Me: Pretending to be Malaysian. Yes I am Malaysian.
>Man: So are you from Penang?
>Me: No why?
>Man: Doesn’t matter where you are from, we are all Chinese. Can you 'lend'me $50?
>Me: I got no money to lend you.
>Man: Don’t lie, I can see your wallet in your pockets. (as I always put mywallet in my front pocket whenever I go overseas.)


He then reached to his back pocket and took out a small fruit knife andpointed the knife next to my tummy. **** at that instant I knew it wasdaylight robbery at MacDonalds. I was in shocked and I looked at him again.I was trapped as I am cornered (I was sitting next to a wall) and the onlyroute to escape was the seat which was occupied by him now.

>Man: Don’t force me. I am really desperate now. Don’t force me. I am notasking a lot from you only $50.
>Me: $ 50 only?
>Man : Yes.Fearing for my own safety, I took out my wallet and gave him $50. However he wasn’t pleased with the $50 and asked for another $5 ringgit to make a phonecall back home from me, I thought to myself, what the f*ck since kena robbed$50 liao what is another $5?


So I gave him another $5. He took the moneyhappily and 'thanked' me before walking off. I tried to chase him but hequickly walked to the exit next to the MacDonalds and made a quick run. Idecided not to chase him further when he left City Square as I was worriedabout my own safety and also I was already in a state of shock and do notreally know how to react.



What pissed me off was at the MacDonalds, therewas a Malay family with kids was sitting next to me and a staff who wascleaning had possibly seen the whole incident and yet nobody was willing tohelp me. After a short while I called my colleague and told him whathappened and cancelled our planned trip and headed back to Singapore.



I did not make a police report as I thought it was too troublesome to do so. Thiswill be the last time that i will ever go to Malaysia alone again. I don’tthink it is safe even at broad daylight anywhere in JB. On the way back Iwas really feeling very down as I was looking forward to a great time andinstead I had to head home disappointed with a state of shock and $50 ringgit poorer



Description of the man who robbed me. Height: about 168, Weight: 50+ (veryskinny), Race: Chinese, Skin: dark tanned, Hair style: short but a littlecurly. He looked like a drug addict, wearing T-shirt and jeans. He hid hislittle knife in newspaper wrapping at his back pocket.
__________________

No comments: