Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More than meet the eyes

Yesterday I have come to realize and more insight of the coy work scope for the position I’m in.

When I was about to leave after 15mins pass my knock off time, the receptionist stop me and ask me to help to answer a customer complaint phonecall.

So ok, while waiting, I was asking what is the complaint about, and as I listen, one staff was asking why they don’t get the other staff to handle it (this staff is one who is related to the boss) and he mentioned he did not want to talk to this customer, so I have to do it.

So when I listen to the complainant, he was angry, aggressive etc and I try to pacify him but it seem like not really working at all. After all the ranting, I told him I will need to investigate before getting back to him, and he seem like still not happy.

Finally, after putting down the phone, I call up the technician which he complaint, and after checking with him and his supervisor (also another boss relative), I realize this is a unreasonable customer, and this supervisor was saying, we will not entertain him, ask him to look for other contractor to resolve his problem.

And before we end this discussion, this supervisor told me, “as a manager, you have to learn to handle all this difficult customer”. Although he deals with techncians alot (like a supervisor only) but he don't talk like one, he talk like he is one of the boss.

Ok, I seem to see abit clearer now, is it the position they create for me, just like the few manager before me, need to handle all this shit? When all the boss’s relative can choose not to handle the difficult customers? And if the issue is not handle problem and get blow up, this manager will just get the chop to appease or close the case?

It’s more than meet the eyes.

No comments: