Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Night fishing at Sembawang


29th Sept 2007, me and my colleague decided to do some surfcasting at night, as the high tides comes in at 1am+. So around 10pm, he came around hougang to pick me up and we went straight to a tackle shop in yishun to grab some bait.
along the way to Sembawang, we stop by Jalan Kayu to grab 2 packet of nice hot teh halia, to help keep cold away (that night was kinda windy and cold), the 2 packet of teh halia will help to warm the body.
once reach our spot, start to setup the gear, with my colleague wet the line first, he caught a catfish within 5mins, oppss... he start to curse, as that spot seem like is infested with lotsa catfish.
next, with my line into the water, i got a nibble as well, and up came another catfish! D@mn!! as both of use using bottom fishing setup, we discuss and decided to use float instead, to further prevent our bait been eaten up by all this cat.
however, with the strong current coming in, our float keep washing away to some un-desired location and we need to keep re-casting out. out on this jetty, there is this family fishing there and at about 12am, they left the place, so we decided to shift over as we can further reach out to the sea.
just when the tide reaches it's highest point, i got a nod on my rod, but the it does not ring the bell which is slip on the tip of the rod. so after removing the bell, i did a strike and reel in the line. it feels heavy and no "fight" at all, and i told my colleague it couls be another rubbish (i have reel back a few rubbish bag already) but when the line come right infront of me, i could hear flapping sound, so quickly, i bring my line over, it is a small ray. so after taking the pic, back to water it goes, come find me when ya are big enough to challange me.
time pass by very slowly, wind start to blow in and i start to feel abit cold and i forgot to bring my jacket and i wore just t-shirt and bermudas. my friend's rod can always see nibbling action, but when he strike, he would miss the fish and the bait is gone, he feel damn pissed.
luckily i got a longer rod which can cast further to prevent all the small fish to come and take away my bait. so sometimes about an hour later, i see my rod nodding again, but still, bell don't sound out. strike it hard and feel some tension at the other end. up came this bigger catfish of the night.
as my objective to to fish tonight, so this cat was release back into the water safely. and the story of my colleague continues, all his bait would be taken away and he can't have any fish on the other end of his line. time now is about 3am and tides seem to goes down quite abit, and water surface is so calm and peaceful that i told my colleague, it's time to go.
with a total of 4 fishes tonight, we ended our fishing trip, though it is my first time fishing here, it seems like i got a better luck than my colleague.


No comments: